Memorials to Judges


May 2, 2017. Beloved husband of Sandra (nee Kessler). Devoted father of Lisa Theokary and Sharon Altman (Mark). Loving stepfather of Alan Jacobs (Stephanie) and Hara Jacobs. Dear grandfather of Anthony Theokary, Taylor Mazzuca, Ella Ward, Dora Ward, Alec Jacobs, and Emily Jacobs. Relatives and friends are invited to Memorial Services Sunday 11:30 A.M. precisely GOLDSTEINS' ROSENBERG'S RAPHAEL-SACKS, 6410 N. Broad St. Shiva will be observed at his late residence Sunday following services and Monday and Tuesday beginning 6:30 P.M. Contributions in his memory may be made to the Disabled American Veterans or American Heart Association.



Born in Durant, Oklahoma, on October 10, 1920, he was the last surviving child of the late Dr. and Mrs. Henry G. Bennett, longtime President of Oklahoma State University. Judge Bennett's career was one of exemplary service to his country. Shortly after graduation at then Oklahoma A&M College, he became an infantry officer in World War II, often leading behind-the-line rescue and recovery teams through enemy territory to rescue and bring home pilots shot down during critical air missions in the South Pacific. Wounded several times, he stayed for the duration of the war, much of it in the jungle environments of the Solomon, New Georgia, and Philippine Islands. He served at the Pentagon during the Korean Conflict before returning to Oklahoma and a private law practice. He continued his national service in the Army Reserve before retiring as a colonel. During the Johnson administration, he returned to federal service at Washington, D.C., at the Maritime Administration before becoming an Administrative Law Judge with the Social Security Administration. Prior to his retirement in 2011 at the age of 90, he was honored for 50 years of federal government service. Judge Bennett earned a Bachelor of Science degree in history from Oklahoma State University, a Jurist Doctor degree from Harvard University, and did post-graduate studies at Georgetown University. He was an adjunct professor at the International School of Law in Washington, D.C. He was an active member of Quail Springs Baptist Church (originally known as Nichols Hills Baptist Church) in Oklahoma City since 1952, where he served as a Sunday School Teacher and Deacon. He was a prolific writer of letters and postcards and read through the Bible at least annually since he was 10 years old. Over the years, he was active in a variety of community activities, including service as Chairman of the Oklahoma County Election Board; Post Commander of the American Legion; Trustee at Oklahoma Baptist University; and active in various Oklahoma political campaigns. Judge Bennett was also a 32nd degree Mason. 



Judge Ronald Bernoski

Bernoski, Hon. Ronald G., of Lisbon, passed away on Sunday, April 29, 2012 at the age of 72 years. He was married to Patricia (nee Luedke). Ron was the proud father of Robin (Dan) Zitzke and Ronna (Brian) Van Hoof, and grandfather “Papa” of Taylor William, Matthew George, and Emma Anne.

Preceded in death by his parents Andrew and Ann (nee Skorka) Bernoski.

Ronald attended and graduated from the Army War College in Carlisle, PA. He served his country as a Colonel in the U.S. Army Reserves during Desert Storm. He also worked as an Administrative Law Judge for more than thirty years and was the president of the Association of Administrative Law Judges.  Ron was an member of the Bar for many years, and acknowledged as one of the country's foremost experts in administrative law.

In his free time, Ronald was an avid baseball fan and attended all his grandchildrens’ sporting events.


  Judge Herbert Leonard Blume

Judge Blume was born in New York City in 1913.  His parents came to the U.S. as infants from Belarus.  His father, Michael Blume, was a plumber.  His mother, Miriam, was an inspiration to Judge Blume’s pursuit of lifetime learning.  He attended public schools in New York and then New York University for his undergraduate degree and St. Johns University School of Law. Before entering private practice as an attorney in Miami, he worked as a prison guard and a professional musician.  After many years in Miami, he worked for several years as a trial attorney with the Federal Trade Commission in Washington, D.C., and then had a long career until 1986 as a U.S. Administrative Law Judge in Atlanta and San Francisco with the Social Security Administration.

All three sons became attorneys. Michael and grandson David Blume, following in Herbert’s footsteps, are also Social Security ALJs in California.  After retiring in 1982, Judge Blume moved to Clearwater, where he served as an arbitrator with NASD and NYSE until age 89.  He also did volunteer work with charitable organizations such as Neighborly Senior Services.  He loved reading and also was enthusiastic about fitness.  Until age 89, he walked 4 miles per day and played golf 3 days per week. Even at 91, he continued to golf and did calisthenics every day, including 20 push-ups. 

Judge J. Robert (Bob) Brown

The Honorable Judge J. Robert (Bob) Brown of Baltimore died on January 28, 2012 at the age of 85 following complications from a stroke.   A soldier, a lawyer, a judge, he will be most remembered as a loving husband, a caring father of seven children, and devoted brother to his seven siblings.   

Bob Brown was born in Baltimore, the oldest son in a family of eight, to the parents of Agnes Forestell and Robert C. Brown, a stevedore on the docks of Baltimore.   He grew up in Blessed Sacrament parish, where he developed ties and friendships that remained with him the rest of his life.     

After graduating from Loyola High School in 1944, he served in the 24th Calvary Reconnaissance Squadron as a 2nd Lieutenant (age 19) commanding a platoon of 5 tanks stationed in Austria as part of the occupation forces.  A beneficiary of the GI Bill, he returned from Europe and promptly attended Washington College, in Chestertown, graduating in 1949 with a BA.  The same year he attended the University of Maryland Law School, graduating in 1952 with a JD. 

He began dating Mildred Mullan in 1951, although they had known each other since high school.  On May 2, 1953, they were married at St. Anne’s Church and moved into a house on Chinguapin Parkway.  One year later, their first child arrived, Mary Noreen.    

Following law school, Bob took a position as assistant states attorney of the State of Maryland, from 1953 to 1956, as the general counsel to the Maryland Department of Employment Security, from 1956 to 1960, and Traffic Court Magistrate for the City of Baltimore, from 1960 to 1961.  He served in the Maryland House of Delegates from 1961 -1962 after having been appointed to the position by Governor Tawes.    

In 1963, Bob began working for the Social Security Administration, first in Louisville, KY and later Baltimore, MD, as an Administrative Law Judge.  He served as Deputy Chief ALJ in Arlington, VA from 1980 to 1986 and Chief ALJ of the Baltimore Office from 1986 to 1990.  Bob was a Senior ALJ from 1990 through his retirement at age 83 in 2010.  

An intrepid traveler, Bob and Millie have seen the world together, having visited places as far a field as Uzbekistan and Northern Africa and, on multiple occasions, their beloved Ireland.  


 Judge Helen Gale Cropper

Judge Helen Gale Cropper had served as an administrative law judge at the Social Security Administration since 1995. She died May 26.   


Judge Helen Gale Cropper began her legal career as a staff member for the Legal Assistance Foundation of Metropolitan Chicago, eventually becoming the managing attorney at the agency's Uptown office


She later was the litigation director at Cook County Legal Assistance Foundation, overseeing a staff of more than a dozen lawyers that provide people living in poverty with free professional legal services.


"She was wonderful at helping us manage our individual caseloads and in making the important, day-to-day decisions that have tremendous impact on people's lives," said Janet Ahern, a former Cook County foundation attorney staff member who now serves as deputy general counsel of the Department of Children and Family Services. "She also taught me how to be a boss, particularly in stressful situations. There were plenty of times she talked many of us off the ledge."


Judge Cropper, 61, of Oak Park, was appointed a federal administrative law judge for the Social Security Administration in 1995. She died of breast cancer on Tuesday, May 26, at Seasons Hospice in Melrose Park.


"Helen was all about doing it the right way," said Michael Logan, a fellow federal administrative law judge for Social Security. "Despite battling cancer for more than two decades, she showed up and did more than her job. She was a tireless seeker of the truth, whose opinion others sought out.  "She was a judge's judge," he said.


Born in Gary, Ind., Judge Cropper grew up in Chicago's southern suburbs, graduating from Rich Central High School in Olympia Fields.


She earned a bachelor's degree in 1975 from Macalester College in St. Paul, Minn., where she met her future husband, David Montgomery, and began thinking of a career in law.


After receiving her law degree from Northwestern University's School of Law in 1978, she was hired by the Legal Assistance Foundation of Metropolitan Chicago.

"In college, she worked as a tutor for Hispanic children and as a volunteer at a battered women's shelter," her husband said. "She also participated in an Urban Studies program sponsored by Associated Colleges of the Midwest, and went to law school with the sole intention of becoming a legal aid lawyer to help those people suffering from social and economic and political injustice."


She and her family, which by then included two children, moved to Oak Park in 1990 when she became litigation director at the Cook County legal foundation. There she participated in her children's school and extracurricular activities and encouraged them to play sports.


"She is my hero," said her daughter, K.C. Montgomery. "She was such an incredible listener. She helped me get through so many highs and lows of my life, from breakups to cheering me and teammates on at softball games to knowing what to say to get me through some of my hardest days."


Judge Cropper remained at the Cook County foundation until her appointment to the bench in 1995, where she earned a reputation from colleagues as a hardworking judge who gave every case careful attention. She organized brown bag lunches within her office so that judges and staff attorneys could gather and discuss new points of developing law.


"She stood tall and brave for due process, when others might settle for a lesser standard," Logan said. "Her smile and wry sense of humor was lifting, and at the same time, her dedication to the task before her was inspiring."



 Judge Herbert Maxwell Darks

Sept 25, 1925 - Oct 2, 2014 "Max" Darks was born September 25, 1925, in Wetumka, Oklahoma, to H.H. Darks and Lena Maxwell Darks. He enlisted in the U.S. Army Air Corps In 1942 at the age of 17 as an aviation cadet and graduated from flight training as a B-25 pilot. Maxwell was discharged from the Air Corps as a 2nd lieutenant in late 1945 at the end of World War II. He earned his juris doctor from University of Oklahoma in 1950. Upon completing his education, he returned to Hughes County to engage in the general practice of law. He served as Hughes County attorney from 1954 to 1958. He went on to practice law in Oklahoma City from 1961 to 1971, when he was then appointed Assistant District Attorney in Oklahoma County. In 1972, he was appointed as a Federal Administrative Law Judge and served in that capacity until he retired in 2006. He is survived by his wife, Rosalie; his daughter, Harriett Thomas and fiance Ken Turk; son, Andy Darks; stepson, Greg Howard and wife Donna; four grandchildren; three great-grandchildren; daughter-in-law, Leann Brumley; caregiver, Raphael Nunoo; and numerous other relatives and friends.


Judge Ron Dickinson


Ron Dickinson was born in Spokane, WA in March 1943.  He grew up in the Seattle area with his 2 younger brothers and their parents and graduated from Bothell High School. While attending the University of Washington where he earned degrees in Business and Law, in January 1964 he played the saxophone in the Rose Bowl and Tournament of Roses parade with the Husky marching band.  Ron joined the US Navy Jag Corps and after serving 3 years active duty, he remained in the reserves until retirement.    Ron was the City Attorney of Mercer Island, WA for 22 years where he and his wife Victoria also called home.  Enjoying many social activities he played slow-pitch softball as team pitcher with life- long friends.    In 1994, Ron became a Federal Judge in the Social Security Hearing Office.  He worked in Wilkes-Barre, PA, Charleston, SC, and Phoenix, AZ, until his retirement May 2013. With a sense of curiosity and adventure, he and Victoria enjoyed travels abroad, cross country trips, golf, Wine Club, and barbeques with his amazing friends.  A 3 ½ months car trip up the CA coast to Seattle was perfect this summer.  Ron passed away unexpectedly on September 12, 2015


Judge Wayne Falkenstein

C. Wayne Falkenstein was born May 6, 1934 to Charles and Glea Falkenstein in Hennessey, Oklahoma. He served in the U.S. Army in Grafenwoehr, Germany and received his Jurist Doctorate at the University of Oklahoma. Wayne was a Mason and a Shriner. He served as Honorary Mexican Consul for the State of Oklahoma. His legal career included County Attorney of Kingfisher County; County Judge of Kingfisher County; oil and gas title work for his company, Energy Title Corporation; Special Municipal Judge of The City of Oklahoma City; and U.S. Administrative Law Judge.

Wayne's favorite area of Law was oil and gas title and he continued to assist family and friends with their oil and gas title needs until the end of his life. Wayne passed away on May 4, 2015 at his home in Oklahoma City.

Judge Patricia Leary Flierl

Judge Patricia Leary Flierl passed away at home on January 21, 2014, at the age of 78. She was born in Buffalo, NY on December 16, 1935, and lived in Lancaster, NY prior to moving to Clovis, Ca. in 1986. She was a practicing lawyer for over 33 years, both in New York and California. The last 11 years she was an Administrative Law Judge. After graduating from Harvard Radcliffe College in 1958, and the University of Buffalo Law School in 1962, she was admitted to the New York State Bar in 1962. While in Buffalo, she worked as a lawyer for the law firm of Jaeckle, Fleischmann, & Mugel. She then went on to work for the Legal Aid Bureau before postponing her career to raise her two sons. After moving to Clovis, she was admitted to the California State Bar in 1987, and resumed her career with the Fresno County Public Defender's Office, specializing in juvenile defense. She went to work for the Law Office of Jeff Reich, and then for the California State Compensation Insurance Fund. She finished her career as an Administrative Law Judge with the Social Security Administration, retiring in early 2013. Patricia was an animal lover who gave a home to many stray dogs and cats throughout her life.

Judge David M. Ganly

Born to Melton and Ruth Ganly in Ridgewood, NJ in 1937, their son David thrived upon his early life experiences in the New York City metropolitan area. 

David graduated from Yale University in 1959 after having attended the Mount Hermon School in western Massachusetts.  At Yale, David took up residence at prestigious Pierson College.  He rowed varsity eights for all four years, and he immersed himself in his architecture major, which would later prove to be a sustaining lifetime avocation of his. Having enrolled in Army ROTC at Yale, David was commissioned upon graduation as a Second Lieutenant in the U.S. Army.

After completing Airborne Training at Ft. Benning, GA and gaining credentialed status as a Staff Officer at the U.S. Army Intelligence School in Fort Holabird, MD., young Lt. Ganly was assigned to the  82nd Airborne Division.  In 1962, he was deployed to Vietnam where he was assigned to a Special Forces unit as an Intelligence Officer.  While on duty as a MAAG Advisor in the Viet Cong stronghold of Qaung Ngai province, Lt. Ganly was wounded by enemy sniper fire during an ambush, for which he was awarded the Purple Heart.  Lt. Ganly recovered to complete his tour of duty in Vietnam having been promoted to the rank of First Lieutenant and ultimately to Captain.

Upon exiting the service in 1963, David returned to New York City where he married and began raising a family.  While in New York, he worked for IBM for a number of years.  Ultimately bored by Big Blue, David continued to work in computer technology during his employment with the New York Herald Tribune.

At 40yrs of age, he answered the call of that infamous Jealous Mistress that is the Law and migrated to North Carolina with his wife and three children in tow…“Go South, young man, Go South?”  In 1980 at the age of 43 years, David received his JD from the North Carolina Central University School of Law in Durham, NC.  He was admitted to the North Carolina Bar and became the founder of the highly successful Asheville litigation firm of Ganly & Ramer.

The energetic young 54 year old attorney decided to turn the focus of his career to the judiciary, and in 1991 he accepted an appointment to the Federal bench as an Administrative Law Judge.  David’s duty assignment to the Social Security Administration brought him West to San Bernardino where he wisely decided to take up residence in nearby Redlands and to marry his loving wife.  David distinguished himself without equivocation during his more than 20 years of public service in the local community not just as a “judge” but as a person of fairness, of  immense integrity, and of caring.  David earned and greatly enjoyed the unrequited respect, admiration, and…most of all… friendship of the fellow jurists with whom he shared the bench.

Judge Ganly is survived by his loving  wife, Norene Green, and his sister and brother-in-law, Dorothy and Craig Miller of Walnut Creek.  He is also survived by his daughter, Samantha Hicks of Asheville, NC; his sons, Winston of La Quinta and Maxwell of Knoxville, TN; by his step-children Amie and James Hofmann of Aliso Viejo and Brenden and Jill Green of Redlands; by his grandchildren and step-grandchildren Erik and Lauren Hicks, Sophia Ganly, Keller, Katie and Sawyer Hofmann, and Abbey and Jake Green.  Our community has sustained the loss of one of its most highly respected jurists and of a valued friend and benefactor.  Judge David Milton Ganly died peacefully at his Redlands home on August 4th after a courageous battle against lung cancer.

Judge Harry T. Holland

Judge Harry Tracy Holland was born on June 25, 1925 in Vina, Alabama, to Mericous V. and Elizabeth Holland.  He passed away in Dallas, TX on July 17, 2014.  He originally lived in Phillips County, Arkansas, until he enlisted in the Marine Corps in early 1942.  After boot camp, he was shipped to the South Pacific, where he took part in the taking of Guadalcanal and other islands, and then served in China until his enlistment was over.  Harry returned to Arkansas and entered Arkansas State, where he met his wife, Retta, and also graduated with a degree in history.  Two years later, they married while he was working on his Master’s Degree in History at Southern Methodist University, where he later earned his law degree after returning from Korea as a Sergeant.  After several years in private practices, he became a judge with the Social Security Administration ODAR.   He retired at the age of 80, after 35 years of service.  He had fond memories of the many friends with whom he worked.  His daughter, Margaret Holland, is presently an Attorney Advisor in the ODAR Downtown Dallas hearing office where Judge Holland served. 


 Judge David T. Hubbard

David T. Hubbard, 69, of Fort Smith, died Monday, May 16, 2011. He was a member of First Presbyterian Church where he previously served as an Elder. He was a graduate of Hendrix College where he received a Bachelor of Arts degree. He also received a Masters in Business Administration and a Juris Doctorate from The University of Arkansas in Fayetteville. David worked for over 40 years in the legal profession and retired as an Administrative Law Judge. His hobbies included playing tennis and reading.

He was married to Amanda, his wife of 43 years.

 Judge Peter Michael Keltch

July 12, 1947 - June 6, 2013 OKLAHOMA CITY Peter Michael Keltch, of Oklahoma City, OK, passed away after a lengthy illness on June 6, 2013. He was the son of Jack Keltch and Roberta Jean Keltch, who preceded him in death. He was born in Cherokee, OK on July 12, 1947. Peter attended public school in Cherokee, OK and graduated from Northeastern State University, where he attended on a debate scholarship. He also graduated from the University of Oklahoma College of Law. After law school, Peter worked for three years for the U.S. Department of Education in Washington, DC before returning to Cherokee, where he engaged in the private practice of law for many years, both as a solo practitioner and in the partnership of Wright, Keltch, Blew and Cullen. Peter was active in the Cherokee community. He was the Republican County Chairman for many terms, and he was appointed to filI an unexpired term of Alfalfa County Commissioner during the county commission upheaval during the 80s. In his Republican activism, Peter held many party positions and was elected to be a delegate to a Republican National Convention. In 1992, Peter was appointed to be an Administrative Law Judge for the Social Security Administration, and he held this post until his recent retirement. In this process, he served as judge in thousands of appeals made by social security claimants. Peter pursued many interests, with particular passion for OU football, whose home games he rarely missed, and an exhaustive interest in genealogy. He was active in his community, actively participating in many civic organizations. He worked and volunteered in the Sons of the American Revolution, the Brigadier General Stand Waitie Society of Oklahoma City, the General R.A. Snead-Col. J.E. Berry Reads Independent Confederate Camp No. 4017 of OKC, and the Downtown Lions Club. He was also a longtime board member and officer of the Oklahoma affiliate of the American Civil Liberties Union. He was an active member of the Oklahoma City Cathedral of Hope.


Judge Paul Stephen Kendall
Paul Stephen Kendall, 67,  served as an administrative law judge in the office of Hearing and Appeals in Dallas and retired from this position in May 2008. Before becoming an administrative law judge, Mr. Kendall had worked for Social Security writing judicial decisions. Judge Kendall served as an intelligence officer in the Air Force from 1967 until he married Helene in 1969. Thereafter, he attended law school at St. Mary's University in San Antonio and graduated in 1973 with a juris doctorate degree. Judge Kendall remained on active duty while attending law school. After receiving his juris doctorate, he was transferred to Clark Air Base, Philippines, where their youngest son, Stephen Michael Kendall, was born in 1979. He was transferred back to Lackland Air Force Base in 1983. Judge Kendall had a long and distinguished career in government service. He moved to Arlington in 1986.

Congressman Peter Kyros

Former U.S. Rep. Peter Kyros of Portland was remembered Thursday as a dedicated lawmaker who never lost his interest in politics and kept working until months before he died at age 86. Congressman Kyros worked for many years as the lobbist for the Association of Administrative Law Judges.

Kyros, a Democrat who represented Maine's 1st Congressional District from 1967 to 1975, died Tuesday, the day before he would have turned 87. He worked for a firm in Washington, D.C., until fairly recently, according to family members.

A Portland native, Kyros built Liberty ships in Bath at the beginning of World War II before enlisting in the Navy in 1943. He later graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy and, after leaving the Navy in 1954, received his law degree from Harvard Law School.

According to biographical information in his obituary, the late Sen. Edmund Muskie of Maine recruited him to run for Congress in 1966. Among other things, he is credited with helping to establish the current 200-mile offshore territorial limit, aimed at protecting U.S. fishing interests from foreign fleets.

"His love of the ocean was something constant in his life, and during his tenure in Congress, he fiercely defended the fishermen and coastal interests of Maine's First Congressional District on the Merchant Marine and Fisheries Committee," said U.S. Sen. Olympia Snowe, R-Maine, in a prepared statement Thursday. "Indeed, Peter's energy and enthusiasm remained forever boundless, and his tireless efforts on behalf of our beloved state will continue to reverberate for generations to come."

Kyros' love of politics and history appears to have rubbed off on at least one family member.

His grandson Nick Schaufelberger is an intern in the office of Democratic U.S. Rep. Chellie Pingree of Maine. Schaufelberger said he remembers being impressed by his grandfather's ability to blend history and politics as they walked around the Capitol building years ago.

He said his grandfather was pleased that he had chosen to intern on Capitol Hill, and they frequently talked about the latest happenings.

"He was always asking me for information about what was going on, and he always wanted to talk about politics," said Schaufelberger, who will be a senior at Boston College, in an interview Thursday.

Kyros served in Congress during a turbulent period that included the Vietnam War and the Watergate scandal that led to President Richard Nixon's resignation. He went to Vietnam four times and, although initially supportive of the war policy, he began speaking out against it despite his military background.

"All of us in the Congress are at fault for not standing up at that time and being more meticulous about what we do," Kyros said in an interview with WCSH-TV's Bill Green. "But it was a Cold War era and it was kind of hard. But you can study it and learn lessons from it as we approach Iraq."

After losing his House seat to Republican David Emery in 1974, Kyros continued to work in Washington, D.C., initially for the State Department. He worked later for several firms that were active on Capitol Hill, advocating for scientific and medical research, instructing others on congressional procedure and working with federal administrative law judges.

Democratic U.S. Rep. Mike Michaud, 2nd District, expressed his condolences to the Kyros family.

"From his service in the Navy, to his time in Congress and at the U.S. State Department, Peter was a model statesman who held a profound devotion for and commitment to the people of Maine," Michaud said in a prepared statement.

Judge Augustus Christian Martin
Born July 29, 1944 in Macungie, Pennsylvania, Judge Martin was the son of  Edward H. Martin and Jennie M. Hammond. After graduating from Emmaus High School, Mr. Martin enlisted in the United States Navy and served more than seven years on active duty in the submarine service. After leaving the Navy, Mr. Martin obtained an Associate Degree in Electrical/Electronics Technology from Penn State University and began a 32-year career with Pennsylvania Power & Light Company in 1970. During his career at PP&L he attended night school and received a B.A. in Economics from Lafayette College, an M.B.A. from Lehigh University, and a J.D. from Temple University. He received his Professional Engineer's License in 1977 and was admitted to the Bar in 1986.
Mr. Martin was actively involved in Bar Association activities, including serving as President of the Bar Association of Lehigh County. Mr. Martin was the first corporate counsel to serve as President and believed that all lawyers, regardless of their employment, should not only support, but also be involved in bar association activities to ensure high ethical and professional standards. A dynamic advocate for the local community, Mr. Martin served as a member and president of the East Penn School Board and as well as a trustee, vice chairman and chairman of the Lehigh Carbon Community College Board. He also served as Scoutmaster for Boy Scout Troup 71 in Macungie, PA. Known to family and friends as "Gus," he traveled to Japan many times over the last 20 years to study the martial art of ninjustu. Having achieved the level of 13th dan, he studied the art from the perspective of a multi-dimensional professional background. He helped many other students see the value of using ninjutsu as a basis for self-development by applying tenets of the art to a broader spectrum of life.

Judge Thomasine Mason

Judge Thomasine Mason SUMMERTON, SC - Judge Mary Thomasine Grayson Mason, widow of Edgar Fleming Mason, died Friday, May 4, 2012, at her homeplace in Summerton, South Carolina. Born November 7, 1917, in the St. Paul community near Summerton, she was the daughter of James Fulton Grayson and Anne; Gentry Grayson. She graduated Summerton High School and attended the University of South Carolina. She completed her undergraduate degree in three years, graduating with honors from the University of South Carolina in 1938. Because her father did not consider the study of law a proper career for a young lady, Judge Mason taught school in West Columbia for one year. In 1940, she enrolled in law school at the University of South Carolina, one of the first two women to attend. With war having broken out in Europe and fearing she may not get to finish law school, Judge Mason sat for and passed the bar exam during her junior year of law school. She was admitted to the South Carolina Bar on June 12, 1941, and graduated from law school June 1, 1942. During World War II, she worked as a Civil Service Representative assigned in Atlanta, Athens, and Charleston. After the war and with her father's health failing, she returned to Summerton and worked with her brother operating the family farm, cotton gin, seed processing, and grain elevator. She continued her studies at North Carolina State College earning a degree in Cotton Classing and leading to her work as a cotton merchant. She later practiced law in Manning and served as a trial attorney with the Civil Division of the United States Department of Justice in Washington, DC. Judge Mason was elected to the South Carolina Senate in 1966 representing Clarendon and Sumter Counties. She was the second woman to serve in the South Carolina Senate, and on February 22, 1967, she was called to preside over a session of the Senate becoming the first woman to preside in that body. In 1960, she served as a delegate to the Democratic National Convention in Los Angeles and attended the Democratic National Convention in Atlantic City in 1968. She served the Clarendon County Democratic Party as a party precinct secretary for more than a decade. In 1971, she was appointed as a Federal Administrative Law Judge for the Social Security Administration's Office of Disability Adjudication and Review. During her tenure, she was the first Administrative Law Judge to sit on the Appeals Council as an Acting Member of the Council, and she served as Hearing Office Chief Administrative Law Judge for 17 years. A proud South Carolinian she has served her state and community in numerous volunteer positions, including the Board of Trustees of Clarendon Memorial Hospital for 16 years, the South Carolina State Mother of the Year Search Committee, the Alumni Council of the University of South Carolina Alumni Association, and the American Red Cross as an Area Director for Clarendon County. She was a member of Summerton Baptist Church, the Daughters of the American Revolution, several garden clubs, and Alpha Delta Pi sorority. A member of the American Legion Auxiliary for over 60 years, she worked with Palmetto Girls State, serving as director for more than ten years and as a counselor, committee member, or legislative leader for more than 40 years. In her professional life, Judge Mason was a member of the South Carolina Bar Association, the Richland County Bar Association, the American Bar Association, and the Federal Executive Council. In 2008 in recognition of her distinguished career as a public servant and community leader, Judge Mason was awarded the Order of the Palmetto by Governor Mark Sanford. Active in sports and recreational activities throughout her life, Judge Mason loved the outdoors and enjoyed spending time on Lake Marion. At the age of 79, she decided she could no longer continue to water ski, so she learned to drive a jet ski. 

Judge Patrick McLaughlin


Hon. Patrick McLaughlin, 67, passed peacefully August 28, 2015 surrounded by family after a 3 year battle with pancreatic cancer. Born in Keokuk, IA, he attended Western Illinois University and graduated with a B.A. in political science. He attended law school at St. Louis University and received his J.D., cum laude, in 1974. 

Drafted from law school, Pat proudly served in the US Army before returning to finish his Juris Doctorate. Pat began his law practice in St. Louis, Missouri, where he worked as an associate for several years. He moved his family to Olney, Illinois and practiced law, specializing in Civil and Criminal Trial Practice. He was Board Certified in 1986 by the National Board of Trial Advocacy. Pat was elected Circuit Judge of Second Judicial Circuit, Illinois, in 1986 and served in that capacity until 1997. During his tenure in Illinois he sat, at times, as a special judge of the Illinois Court of Appeals. 

In 1997 Pat was appointed as a U. S. Administrative Law Judge with the Social Security Administration and assigned to Jacksonville, FL, where he remained.  Pat served as a Vice President of the Association of Administrative Law Judges and was active in other positions as well. Pat was an active member of Saint Paul's Catholic Church, the Knights of Columbus and the American Legion. Pat was the founder of the Florida Pancreas Cancer Coalition a 501 c (3) organization. After being diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in January of 2012, he was passionate to raise funds to support research for the disease


Judge Thomas C. Muldoon

The Honorable Thomas C. Muldoon served in the St. Louis Office of Hearings and Appeals of the Social Security Administration.  Judge Muldoon was born on October 19, 1939, to Thomas F. and Susan Loyola Muldoon. He graduated from St. Roch's Parish School, Saint Louis University High School, Georgetown University, and Washington University School of Law. He married his beloved Dede in 1964. He spent fourteen years as an Assistant Circuit Attorney in the City of St. Louis before accepting an appointment as a United States Administrative Law Judge in 1979. The Judge was a gifted woodworker, musician, avid reader, military history aficionado, devoted Ranger and Irishman. He was most proud of being wed to his best friend Dede and raising eight children.  Judge Muldoon was married forty-seven years to the late Dorothy Jane Snyders Muldoon.  He was  father of Thomas (Brenna) Muldoon, the late Timothy Muldoon, Susan (Conrad) Deneault, Brian (Melissa) Muldoon, Sean (Kathleen) Muldoon, Kathleen (John) Jackson, Megan (Matthew) Stephens, Mary Bridget (Timothy) Geiss, and grandfather of Colleen and Timothy Muldoon, Conrad, Deveney, Thomas, and John Deneault, Grace, Brendan, Matthew, Nicholas, and Mary Muldoon, Margaret, Molly, the late Patrick, and James Muldoon, Maya, John, William, Charlie, Janie, Henrietta Marie, and Teddy Jackson, Sophie, Caroline, and Anna Stephens


Judge Francis C. Newton Jr. 

Francis C. Newton, Jr. A resident of Sudbury since 1954, died February 6, 2012. He was 86 and husband of the late Elizabeth White Newton. Born in Boston, MA on October 25, 1925, He was the son of the late Francis C. and Helen (Prentiss) Newton. Raised in Brookline and Newton Centre, he attended Newton High School and Deerfield Academy. He graduated from Amherst College in 1947 and Boston University School of Law in 1952. A U.S. Army combat Infantryman in World War II, with the 99th Division, 535th AAA Regiment, he fought during the Battle of the Bulge; crossed the Remagen Bridge into Germany while under fire; arrived at Dachau Concentration Camp on the day it was liberated and served as an alternate guard at the Nuremberg War Trials. He retired after a 30 year career in the U.S. Army, the Massachusetts Army National Guard and the United States Army Reserve as a Colonel. He was Trial Counsel at Power and Hall, Boston, MA from 1952 to 1964; private practitioner from 1964 to 1996 in Boston, MA and served as an Administrative Law Judge in the Social Security Administration from 1996 until his retirement in 2011. 

Judge Tom Piliero
Tom Pilierowas born in New York City, NY on November 11, 1946 to Joseph and Madelyn Piliero. Tom received his Jurist Doctorate from St. John's University and was a Federal Judge for the Social Security Administration. He volunteered as a Court Appointed Special Advocate for children.

  Judge Audrey M. Scott
Judge Scott grew up in Memphis and graduated from Hamilton High School. After graduation, she began college at LeMoyne Owen College and later transferred to Howard University in Washington where she graduated with honors. She later attended Catholic University of America, Columbus School of Law where she received her Juris Doctor degree. She returned to Memphis and began her legal career with Memphis Area Legal Services. Judge Scott was a long time judge, serving the local EEOC and Social Security Administration Memphis Hearings Office,


82 passed away peacefully at home surrounded by those he loved, his wife and children on May 29, 2012 in Honolulu, Hawaii. Henry was born in Kapaa, Kauai, on July 16, 1929 to Shizuo Tai and Tamayo Yoshida. Henry was a long-time lawyer in California. Since 1982, Henry was an Administrative Law Judge for the Social Security Administration in Honolulu, Hawaii, where he was responsible for the Hawaiian Islands, Guam, Saipan and American Samoa.

At an early age, Henry left Kauai by enlisting in the U.S. Army proudly serving his Country during the Korean War. Henry received a Bronze Star for his heroism in action against the enemy near Pyongyang, Korea, by voluntarily moving forward with the lead elements of his unit and exposing himself to heavy enemy arms and mortar fire persuading the enemy to surrender.

Following his military engagement, Henry received his education at the University of Cincinnati and the University of the Pacific McGeorge School of Law in Sacramento, California. Henry remained in Sacramento for twenty years and later relocated to Honolulu, where he remained until his death.

An avid traveler, Henry took pride and joy in taking his family around the world. He was also known to his family and friends as man of integrity who enjoyed helping others.

Henry is loved and survived by his wife, Keiko Mollie, daughter, Cynthia, and son, Christopher as well as numerous cousins, nephews and nieces. Private services will be held at Punchbowl Cemetery on June 7th at 2pm. In lieu of flowers, memorial donations may be made to the UCSF Foundation, Box 45339, San Francisco 94145-0339 to support kidney transplants.

The Family of Henry Tai extends a special and heartfelt Mahalo to Hospice Hawaii, Dr. Lavonda Nakamoto and the staff of the Home Based Primary Care of the Pacific Islands Health Care Systems, Dr. Stephen Denzer and Dr. Alan Lau, Nephrologist, Kaiser Permanante Hawaii, as well as numerous caregivers including Mele Puloto, Stanley Shiraki and Marlon Calantoc.


Judge Joseph Simeone

Joe Simeone didn’t want to be a lawyer; he just wanted an education.

Near the end of World War II, he found that the fastest way to get what he wanted was to enroll at the Washington University School of Law.

He went to the dean and was blunt about his assets: “I’ve got two years of college and I have no money.”

No problem, the law school dean replied, offering to find the student a scholarship.

Judge Simeone graduated from the law school and went on to become a lawyer, a law professor at St. Louis University and a judge. He served on the court of appeals in St. Louis and the Missouri Supreme Court.

During a distinguished career, he helped bring the Missouri judiciary into the modern age by rewriting the section of the state constitution that deals with judges.  Judge Simeone’s rewrite was adopted by the Legislature and then by voters in 1976. It required, at a minimum, that judges be lawyers.

His work replaced a patchwork system of local courts and state courts with out-of-date rules. Under the old rules, appellate courts had no jurisdiction over civil cases involving more than $10,000. That made for a continuing overload at the state Supreme Court in Jefferson City.

“It was a big deal,” said Mike Wolff, dean of the School of Law at St. Louis University and a former state Supreme Court judge. “He wrote it and it was a masterful job.”

Judge Joseph J. Simeone died Friday (May 1, 2015) at McKnight Place in University City. He was 93 and had been a longtime resident of Webster Groves.

In addition to being chairman of the Committee on Judicial Reform whose years of work culminated in the Judicial Reform Act of 1979, Judge Simeone headed a special committee to modernize the state’s criminal laws and another committee to modernize the state’s environmental laws.

He was legal advisor to the Missouri House of Representatives and to two governors, Warren Hearnes and Joseph Teasdale.

Joseph John Simeone was born in Quincy, Ill., the only boy of four children. His parents had immigrated from Palermo, Sicily. His father was a cobbler and his mother worked in the home.

They had trouble earning a living, sold their shoe repair shop and moved to St. Louis. Judge Simeone wanted to help and after a year at Quincy College took a civil service test. In 1941, he was sent to work as a typist at the War Department in Washington.

After a couple of years, he was transferred back to St. Louis, where he decided he needed an education, according to an account in the St. Louis City Monitor. The law school at St. Louis University was closed during the war but Washington University’s was open, although with few students.

He graduated in 1946 and later earned a doctorate of law at the University of Michigan.

After graduating, he applied at 56 law firms before one attorney, John Leahy, offered him a three-month trial at $150 a month. Leahy chewed cigars in the office and spit in spittoons.

Judge Simeone got a break when a former classmate told him that the law school at St. Louis University was reopening. He was hired to teach property, conflict of laws and civil procedure, three courses that kept him working from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m.

It was 1947 and he was barely older than the students, most of whom had just returned from the war.

In addition to teaching a full load, he became legal advisor for the Legislature, where he helped draft many laws.

“They trusted me because I had no ax to grind,” Judge Simeone told an interviewer. “I was a professor and I told them the truth about the bills.”

His work on judicial reform helped transfer a lot of cases from the overburdened Supreme Court to the Court of Appeals. He also helped write the Missouri Public Defender Act.

His work for governors helped land him two judgeships: on the Missouri Court of Appeals, Eastern District, from 1971-1977, and on the Missouri Supreme Court from 1977-1979. He resigned from the state high court to return to his teaching job in St. Louis. He told a reporter he didn’t like working in Jefferson City, so far away from his family.

From 1986-1990, he served as senior judge on the Court of Appeals. He wrote some 500 appellate opinions. He served as an administrative law judge at the Social Security Administration from 1990-2007.

Judge Simeone said the law was a profession for thinkers, and for those who appreciate the drama of human existence.

“You can’t beat the life of the mind, and that’s what the law is all about,” he said.



 THE HONORABLE GERALD J. SPITZ , 72, formerly of Concord Twp. and Prospect Park, PA died on December 5, 2013. Beloved husband of Pamela Spitz (nee) Weaver. Devoted father of Megan E. Spitz and husband Eric Milby and Alison J. Spitz; loving brother of Thomas, Joseph and Gregory (Agnes) Spitz; grandfather of 4. Relatives and friends are invited to attend Judge Spitz's Visitation on Tuesday 7-9 P.M. at the PAGANO FUNERAL HOME INC., 3711 Foulk Rd., Garnet Valley PA. Memorial Services will be held on Thursday December 12, 2013, 10 A.M. at Providence Friends Meeting, 105 North Providence Rd., Media, PA 19063. Int. private. Contributions to Amer. Red Cross or Fdn. for Sarcoidosis Research  Judge Spitz served as Region 3 vice president of the old Association of Administrative Law Judges.



Long time Queens Judge Sol Wieselthier died July 1.  He was a judge with SSA for over 25 years.  Also a long time member of the AALJ, Judge Wieselthier was the grievant in the AALJ arbitration proceeding in which we successfully litigated the right of judges to complete financial disclosure forms from their alternate duty station.  The funeral was held July 2 at Sinai Chapel in Fresh Meadows, New York.